Tuesday, November 13, 2012

When Dad's Away, the Girls Go to Harrods

I woke up in a nasty, sorry for myself, cranky mood today. There were some not so nice words to Lane, heavy sighs as I made breakfast and even a few muffled tears. Now that Lane is at work all day, and the girls and I are stuck in temporary housing in a not-so-kid friendly area, the day seems long. In order to combat my mood, I kissed Lane out the door, shook off the tears and did what any other woman in any part of the world would do.... plan a shopping trip. And since we have literally seen no London hotspots yet since we've been here, I figured I would kill the tourism/shopping need with one stop - Harrods.

My mood changed quickly.

As the girls and I pulled out of the underground station ( me literally carrying Stella in the stroller up a few flights of stairs as the elevator lift was broken) we saw something that seemed like it could only be a dream. The dark green Harrods signature awnings over the beautiful store windows already decorated for Christmas. To our overly-estatic surprise, this year's Christmas theme at Harrods is all based on the Disney princesses. I mean Disney meets Harrods? What could be better? Aren't these windows magical? They are modern-fashion focused representations of each of the princesses and each scene has the most amazing details about each princesses' story. Here are Avery's favorites:

Rapunzel
 Tiana

Belle and Princess Avery

After spending no less than 20 minutes walking up and down the line of princess windows, we could have gone home happy. Then we stepped into Harrods, dashed through the purse section so expensive I was afraid to even look at them and up to the Toy Kingdom. It too was decorated and ready for the girls to add lots and lots of ideas to their upcoming Christmas list. We spent the next hour walking around, playing with toys, taking part in demonstrations and trying to explain to a two year old why Santa can't bring her everything she wants ( I mean, his sleigh is only so big).




Stella appreciated the stuffed animals scattered around the store at her stroller-level, especially the dog "dug".


Toyed-out, hungry and exhausted already, we stumbled across our final surprise as we made our way out of Harrods - the Magical Disney shop that was put in to support the Christmas theme. An entire section of Harrods full of all things Disney - even a "glass slipper salon" and princess costume try on boutique.


It was a hugely successful adventure for the girls and I. I even escaped the dream-land spending under twenty bucks. Avery wanted a princess umbrella, so I thought it was a practical gift that she needed for the rainy London weather....... big mistake. Can you imagine a 2 year old with a new princess umbrella on the underground train? Luckily we made it without poking any eyes out. We have taken two further walks today with the umbrella held high above Avery's head (it was partly sunny and 54 today).

Off to dream of glass shoes, expensive purses and prince charming ( who just arrived home from work),

~Lo, Aves and Stella




3 comments:

  1. I like your style Lo...coping with Harrods...perfect.
    But who is Tiana? Some British princess?!?!? I'm way out of the Disney princess loop....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, princess Tiana is the princess from Princess with the Frog! Get with it . ( she's African American, smart, driven and beautiful....movie is really cute and bass in New Orleans).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I better smarten up on my princesses before I come visit Miss Avery ;) And speaking of my visit...I think we'll have to make a trip to Harrods...
    Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete